Wondering how to prevent your nails from peeling? Here are ten suggestions.
10 Ways to Stop Your Nails From Peeling
- Use water-based nail polish, rather than regular solvent-based nail polish. Regular nail polish contains harsh chemicals that can dry out your nails.
- Use an acetone-free nail polish remover, preferably one with natural ingredients. Nail polish removers that contain ethyl acetate can still dry out your nails, making them more likely to peel.
- If the top layer of your nails started peeling off after repeated application and removal of nail polish, you may want to let your nails breath for a while. Nails that are filed and buffed can still look very nice.
- Avoid tapping your nails or using them to pry open soda cans or other containers.
- Use natural jojoba oil to re-hydrate your nails. Massage a drop of jojoba oil into your cuticles and bare nail beds at least once per day.
- File your nails every time after cutting them, and at least once per week. Filing and shaping nails can help prevent both peeling and tearing. Opt for a crystal nail file, or four sided buffer, rather than a harsh metal file.
- Wear gloves while washing dishes and using household cleaners. This also helps protect your hands from over-exposure to water and cleaning agents.
- Eat foods that are rich in biotin (vitamin B-5). Biotin is found in swiss chard, carrots, almonds, strawberries, and cauliflower.
- Wear warm gloves when going outside in cold weather.
- Moisturize your hands regularly.